Any passionfruit dessert recipe is a winner at our place. I remember being a kid and my mum would bring home passionfruit and we would all dive in and devour them all before mum had a chance to pack them away! We have a passionfruit vine growing in our backyard, so now I have a chance to get creative before the kids inhale all of the passionfruit.
My favourite passionfruit dessert recipe is essentially a no-cook passionfruit mousse. I call it ‘Passionfruit Fluff’ because that’s the way it has always been in my family. I suppose ‘Mousse’ sounds more impressive but ‘Fluff’ conjures up more comforting childhood feelings.
I can honestly say I have made this recipe at least five times in the last few weeks. Why? Because I wanted to make a dessert that appears impressive while being so simple a child could make it. I’ve also made it for my daughter because she likes desserts and I like not spending hours making them for her.
My mother used to make this for me when I was a child and I loved it. She has it written in her old recipe book which is full of her well used secret recipes. This is one I’ve managed to procure from her book of secrets.
What I love about this passionfruit dessert recipe is how seriously simple it is yet it appears so heavenly!
Passionfruit dessert recipe
What you’ll need:
- 6 passionfruits
- 1 packet of lemon jelly crystals
- 1 can of creamy evaporated milk
- ½ cup of boiling water
How to make it:
- Stir the packet of jelly crystals into the boiling water until the crystals are dissolved and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Using an electric mixer beat the evaporated milk until creamy and fluffy.
- Slowly beat in the cooled jelly mixture and the pulp of 5 passionfruits into the fluffy evaporated milk.
- Spoon into ramekins, parfait glasses or bowls and leave in the fridge for 2 hours to set.
- Drizzle the remaining passionfruit pulp over the top of the set fluff.
Don’t mix the jelly mixture into the milk mixture until cooled or the fluff may separate when setting.
Light evaporated milk won’t give as much fluffiness to the Passionfruit Fluff as using the full cream version. Sorry folks, you’ll have to give in to your dark side on this one.
You can mix up the flavours by replacing the passionfruit with pureed berries or mango.