I love going to the Moonlight Cinema. There’s something extra special about seeing a movie under the stars. I took the kids to the Moonlight Cinema last summer and they have been asking me to take them back ever since.
Tickets have just gone on sale for the December-January season and there is a wonderfully diverse selection of movies to see, with nearly 20 advanced screenings, 19 new releases and a whole lot more including:
- Passengers, Lion, La La Land and Allied
- The big summer blockbusters: Star Wars: Rogue One, Assassins Creed and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Films for the family: Sing, Moana, Red Dog: True Blue, Pete’s Dragon and Trolls
- Advanced screenings of A Monster Calls, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, Office Christmas Party and Why Him?
- Cult classics: Grease and Back to the Future
My picks would be Disney’s newest animated island fantasy, Moana or the remake of the 1977 classic Pete’s Dragon for the kids, and The Girl on the Train or Brad Pitt’s spy thriller Allied me.
Ian Sutherland, the Group Director of Marketing said “We’re very proud of this program and excited to be screening so many big summer blockbusters before their general release dates. Moonlight is a quintessential Australian summer experience where you can bring together a bunch of mates, pack a picnic and recline on bean beds to enjoy the best films of the year.”
On Australia Day, you can get the fur-family together for a screening of Red Dog: True Blue. A follow up to the 2011 Aussie hit, this is a prequel that follows the early events leading up to Red Dog’s discovery on the road to Dampier and his rise to Aussie legend.
Although every night is pet friendly at Moonlight in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, specifically programmed ‘Doggie Nights’ return this season so you can share a night at the flicks with your treasured fur kid. A special screening of The Secret Life of Pets on Friday 09 December kicks off the Doggie Nights. A star-studded affair, the screening will also include pet pampering stations, doggie treat samples and special giveaways throughout the night.
Moonlight Cinema: The Lowdown
DATES AND LOCATIONS:
- Adelaide: Botanic Park, Dec 1 – Feb 19
- Brisbane: New Farm Park at Brisbane Powerhouse, Dec 8 – March 5
- Melbourne: Central Lawn at Royal Botanic Gardens, Dec 8 – Apr 2
- Perth: Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Dec 3 – Apr 2
- Sydney: Belvedere Amphitheatre in Centennial Park, Dec 1 – Apr 2
- “Gold Grass”: Includes bean bed in premium viewing area and wait service: $35
- Adults: $19
- Children (3-15): $14.50
- Children under 3 are free
- Moonlight Cinema is a BYO friendly event (except BYO alcohol is not permitted at Brisbane’s Moonlight Cinema), but if you forget your picnic hamper and wine have no fear; The Moonlight food truck and fully licensed bar will be serving up LA-style snacks to compliment the Moonlight Cinema experience.
- Gates open an hour and a half before the film starts so head in early to snap up your grassy patch (also pays to head in early to get a car park!)
- Click here to check the film schedule in your city
** Our Moonlight Cinema giveaway has now closed. Congratulations to Abby who has won a double pass to the movie of her choice. Competition closed 29 November 2016. Please see full terms and conditions **