You don’t have to be a big fan of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies to enjoy the magic of Hobbiton. We went on the Hobbiton Movie Set tour in New Zealand and absolutely loved it.
The location, about two hours drive from Auckland, is stunning. It’s easy to see why the lush green hills drew the attention of Sir Peter Jackson as being the perfect location to recreate JRR Tolkien’s “The Shire”.
It was simply magical to explore the Hobbit Holes. There were loads more than I had expected, and the attention to detail is amazing. It was like walking through the kind of enchanted storybooks I loved as a kid.
All tours are guided, and our guide gave a nice commentary about The Hobbits along with insider movie information. We had heaps of time to stop and take photos and peak in the windows of all the super-cute and oh-so-picturesque Hobbit homes.
A drink at the Green Dragon Inn (ginger beer for the kids, apple cider for me!) was a great way to top it all off.
The tour was well-paced and it wasn’t too crowded either. The tours are well spaced out, although we were on the last tour of the day so there was no one on our coattails.
I totally recommend a trip to Hobbiton if you get to New Zealand. Its a must do even if you haven’t seen the movies, and even if you don’t have kids!
Hobbiton Movie Set Tour – The lowdown:
- The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour departs daily every 30 minutes from 9 am until 3:30 pm, with extra tours over peak periods.
- Tickets: Adults $79; Youth (9-16yo) $39.50; Kids 0-8 years old are free with a full paying adult.
- We claimed a 10% discount with our Top 10 card – I booked online then paid on arrival as staff needed to sight my card to apply the discount.
- Tours leave from The Shire’s Rest, 501 Buckland Rd, Hinuera, Matamata which is about two hours from Auckland, 45 minutes from Rotorua or Hamilton, 1.5 hours from Taupo.
- There’s free parking at the Shire’s Rest, or you can join tours from Rotorua, Auckland or nearby Matamata at extra cost.
- The tour runs for about two hours, including the short return bus trip from Shire’s Rest.
- You should pre-book online as you really don’t want to miss out.
- The evening banquet tour looks amazing. You tour the Hobbit Holes at dusk, enjoy a feast fit for a Hobbit in the Green Dragon Inn, then retrace your steps through The Shire by lantern light. These tours run on a Wednesday or Sunday evening year round.
- Find out more about Hobbiton and book here.
This isn’t a sponsored post, just sharing the love for a great destination!