No cake book would be complete without a recipe for the perfect pavlova. However the much-loved Australian meringue cake has a reputation of being difficult to master, but as long as you have time and patience, your results will be great. And once you top your pavlova with fresh cream and seasonal fruit, the result will be magnificent!
This recipe for the perfect pavlova is from Tamara Milstein-Newing’s brand new recipe book ‘Bake Your Cake & Eat It Too’:
The Perfect Pavlova
- 4 large egg whites
- 7 3⁄4 oz (220 g) superfine (caster) sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- whipped cream, to serve
- seasonal fruit, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a heavy baking tray with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form, adding a pinch of salt. Begin adding sugar, a spoonful at a time, then increase the speed to high and continue beating until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Sift over the cornstarch and add the vinegar. Fold into the egg whites using a spatula and very gentle strokes.
- Pile the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and put in the preheated oven. Immediately turn the heat down to 250°F (130°C) and bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave meringue to cool overnight.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream, passionfruit, berries, kiwi or other seasonal fruits of your choice.
About ‘Bake Your Cake & Eat It Too’
Whether you want to bake a cake for afternoon tea, a dinner party, a dessert, or just because you want to, Bake Your Cake & Eat It Too will provide you with a deliciously different selection to choose from. First published in 1997, Tamara’s cookbook has been updated with many new recipes and features innovative cakes from around the world in a beautifully clear and concise format with gorgeous photographs to whet your appetite. Tamara shares important tips, handy hints and information that can only be compiled after years of experience. If you love to bake, this cookbook will become an invaluable source of inspiration!
Bake Your Cake and Eat it Too, New Holland Publishers RRP $29.99 available from all good bookstores or online at New Holland Publishers. This is not a sponsored post, we just like pavlova!