This easy zucchini slice recipe is an old family favourite that’s been passed down through my husband’s family and refined along the way. It’s easy, it’s healthy and it’s the only way I can get my three-year-old to eat any vegetables at all! He’s so fussy he even picks the diced onion out of spaghetti sauce, but he’ll gobble down an entire slab of this zucchini slice.
My easy zucchini slice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 375g zucchini, grated (approx. 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 rashers of bacon, diced (ham is fine too)
- 1 cup of tasty cheese, grated
- 1 cup self-raising flour (wholemeal is best)
- 1/2 cup of oil (vegetable or olive is fine)
- 5 eggs
The beauty of this recipe is that you don’t need to pre-cook the bacon and you can throw everything into a single bowl in any order you like. This is particularly helpful when you have enthusiastic mini-chefs assisting you in the kitchen.
Step 1: Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
Step 2: Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
Step 3: Place the mixture in a shallow baking dish lined with greaseproof paper.
Step 4: Cook in moderate oven for approximately 50 minutes. Make sure it’s nice and golden brown on top before you take it out – more cooking is better with this recipe.
Pro tips and substitutions
This is a very flexible zucchini slice recipe which can be adapted depending on what you have in your fridge.
Feel free to change:
- onion – large or small, it doesn’t matter
- bacon – 3 rashers is fine, as is 5. Ham also works well.
- zucchini – make sure you have exactly 375g of grated vegetables, but if you don’t have enough zucchini on hand, feel free to make up the amount with grated carrot. This also adds some lovely colour to the slice.
- cheese – if a little bit more or less falls into the bowl don’t worry (this often happens thanks to my three-year-old sous chef!)
- eggs – it works just as well with 4 eggs as 5, so if you’re a bit short, don’t worry.
- the amount of grated vegetable. My husband once put an entire massive zucchini into a slice. It did not turn out well. It’s well worth the hassle of weighing the zucchini – this can be done before you grate it.
For fussy eaters:
- chop up the onion very, very finely. They’ll hardly notice it.
- peel the zucchini before you grate it. No more ‘yucky green bits’ at all.
This easy zucchini slice is fabulous with chips. The oven is already on, so make the most of it! Slice up a few potatoes, lay them flat on a tray and spray them with cooking oil. Pop them in the oven 15-20 minutes after the zucchini slice, so the entire meal will be ready at the same time.
If you’re hankering after some extra veggies, chop up and roast some pumpkin, parsnips and other root veggies alongside the zucchini slice. Add garlic and rosemary for a perfect winter warmer.