If you want to give the kids a taste of the snow, but the thought of lift passes, slippery black ice on the road and pricey chalets give you nightmares; Corin Forest is the absolute PERFECT place to visit.
Only 45 minutes from the centre of Canberra, Corin Forest is the ideal destination to give younger kids a chance to have fun in the snow.
I discovered Corin Forest by chance – I was chatting to some school mum friends about the possibility of driving to Thredbo from Canberra for a day trip (with four kids… Can you imagine??) when the suggestion came up.
And of course it was a much better idea.
We were already planning to stay in Canberra and the 1.5 hour round trip to Corin Forest seemed like a much better than the ordeal of a five hour round trip to the snowfields.
The approach is long and windy, and when you arrive it doesn’t look like much – just a big patch off snow on the hill, but we had an awesome time.
My eldest had just turned eight when we went and he had a ball going up and down the slopes on his bobsled. My youngest had just turned one and she loved it too – she rode in my bobsled and every time we reached the bottom of the hill she immediately said “more”.
Luckily the slopes aren’t so long that you get worn out walking back up to the top – even with a toddler in tow. And they’re still steep enough to get the adrenalin pumping.
We had bobsled races, a snowball fight and of course built the obligatory snowman.
Corin Forest relies on a snow machine for much of the season, but it does also snow there. When we went in early July there was enough snow for us to build our snowman. He wasn’t a soft fluffy snowman, but I think we did a pretty good job.
A few hay bales sit along the bottom edge of the snowfield and make a handy place to catch your breath and have morning (or afternoon) tea.
Corin Forest is a great first trip to the snow. If your kids have already skied or snowboarded this is not the place for them, but rather a fun day trip to experience snow play for the first time. My four had a great time and it was great to top it all off toasting marshmallows and sipping hot chocolate in the café afterwards.
The important stuff:
- Prices: $15 for a 2.5 hour session. Kids under two are free.
- Bobsled Hire: $5 per session
- Corin Forest is open for three sessions a day during winter, with each session 2.5 hours long.
- It is strongly recommended that you book your session in advance as numbers are limited for safety reasons.
- The snow season at Corin Forest kicks off over the June long weekend (however Mother Nature can be very unpredictable!)
- This season the team will be adding skiing and snowboarding to their list of options – something which will no doubt broaden appeal amongst older kids.
- You can hire ski clothes for the day.
To find out more and to make an online booking visit Corin Forest.